Health Department


Peter Correale, Health Officer

Gina McConeghy (Pequannock)

 Maryann Lang, Board of Health Secretary
Registrar of Vital Statistics, Deputy Clerk

111 Ridgedale Avenue, Florham Park, N.J.  07932
Phone: 973-410-5319 Fax: 973-410-5485

Open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (excluding holidays)


  • Michael Moore, President – Term Expires December 31, 2019
  • Marianne Nucci – Term Expires December 31, 2018
  • Dr. Raymond Holmes – Term Expires December 31, 2019
  • Peter Kleban – Term Expires December 31, 2020
  • Sabrina Edmunds – Term Expires December 31, 2018
  • Stan Wisnewski – Term Expires December 31, 2020
  • Tana LaPlaca – Term Expires December 31, 2020
  • Alternate: Kathleen Solar-Greene – Term Expires December 31, 2018

The Board of Health meets on the first Wednesday every other month, or as otherwise designated, at 7:00 p.m. at the Borough Hall. Please refer to the Borough Calendar.

The Health Department administers public health services designed to protect the health of our residents and promote a safe environment.

Please Note:  Many of the Borough’s Health Services are shared services in conjunction with Pequannock Township. Additional information, including information regarding local retail health inspections can be found on the Township of Pequnnock Health Department Website. 


 Florham Park animal control services are provided by Millburn Township Animal Control. Residents who are in need of these services or who want to report a lost pet must call the Florham Park Police (non-emergency) @ 973-377-2200.

It is very important that your pet wears his/her current registration tag for easy identification. If a dog is found to be loose and the owner is not known or cannot be located, the dog will be taken to the designated holding facility. The owner will be responsible for any impoundment fees and/or veterinary services provided.



It is very tempting to feed feral cats because they look just like domestic cats. These animals are NOT domesticated. They have been born in the wild and may carry diseases and in some cases, rabies. The feeding of feral cats and other types of wildlife also disrupts their natural feeding habits and can result in wildlife being concentrated at artificial feeding areas like your yard. There are a number of ways to help keep feral cats away from your yard:

1. Remove Food: Feral cats will stay in any area where food is plentiful. Avoid feeding your own pets outdoors and cover trash scraps securely to keep from giving unwelcome cats an easy meal.

2. Close Shelter: All wild animals need a place to sleep and to raise their young. Board up holes in sheds and garages, under decks and porches, or in simple shelters such as wood piles or window wells to avoid providing this shelter to feral cats.

It is against the law in Florham Park to feed feral cats and other wildlife. Violators are subject to prosecution and fines.


Contact the Florham Park Police (973-377-2200) to report any dead deer in the roadway. If there is a deer carcass located on your property, it is your responsibility to arrange for its removal. This can be accomplished two ways:

Contact a carcass removal service to have the carcass removed at your expense.
Move the carcass to the roadway and contact the Florham Park Police to arrange for pick-up.


Unless it is known that the mother has been killed or injured, the public is urged to leave young wildlife alone. Most times, what appears to be an orphaned young animal is not, and the best thing to do is to leave the animal where it is found.


Dead birds are no longer tested for West Nile Virus, as it is no longer a threat. If you have a dead bird or any small animal on your property, wear rubber gloves and place the bird or animal in a garbage bag with the trash


If a usually nocturnal animal is out during the day, it does not necessarily mean that the animal is rabid. In the spring and summer it is not uncommon to see an adult raccoon out during daylight hours. In addition, while foxes are most active at night, they, like the raccoons, can be active anytime that food is available.

However, if there is a nocturnal animal out and behaving abnormally, call the FP Police at 973-377-2200. Abnormal behavior can be walking in circles, staggering and falling over, appearing disoriented, unusually aggressive or unusually tame.


All dogs and cats that are at least 7 months old must be licensed each year by the Borough of Florham Park as per Chapter 96 and Chapter 108 of the Code of Florham Park. Dog and cat licenses must be renewed by January 1st of each year. N.J. state law requires that all animals must show proof of a current rabies vaccination that is valid through November 1st of the licensing year in order to renew. There are no exceptions. For fee information and to download an application, click on the “Forms” tab on the home page, the pet license application will be listed under Board of Health Forms. Local ordinance prohibits anyone from feeding stray dogs and cats.

Animal Cruelty

Animal Cruelty Penalties

Guide to Prevention of Animal Cruelty Laws


Pets can become infected with rabies through contact with rabid animals. Because of this, it is very important that your pet has an up-to-date rabies vaccination. Florham Park offers a free rabies vaccination clinic each November. You may also bring your pet to any state or municipally sponsored rabies clinic in any town or, or course, your veterinarian.

Do not feed or handle wild animals and especially avoid contact with all bats, raccoons, skunks, groundhogs, and foxes. Avoid contact with strays or pets other than your own as these animals may bite or scratch you and may not be vaccinated for rabies.


Federal law, under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), mandates that businesses and organizations that serve the public must allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals into all areas of the facility where customers are normally allowed to go. This federal law applies to all businesses open to the public.

Service animals are animals that are individually trained to perform tasks for people with disabilities such as guiding people who blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling wheelchairs, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, or performing other special tasks. Service animals are working animals, not pets.

For more information on the laws governing service animals, click here


Florham Park has a number of wetland areas that provide an environment that is perfect for mosquito breeding. From late Spring to early Fall, mosquitoes can be a significant nuisance especially in residential areas close to these wetlands. Residents should consider staying indoors during periods of high mosquito activity (early evening and early morning).

The Morris County Mosquito Commission is the lead agency for mosquito control in Morris County. The Commission employs a variety of environmentally sound techniques to reduce the annoyances caused by this insect. If you have questions or would like information on planned mosquito spraying, call 973-285-6450.


Mosquito breeding around the home can be reduced considerably by eliminating standing water available for mosquito breeding.

Dispose of metal cans, plastic containers, ceramic pots or any other water holding containers that have accumulated on your property.

Clean roof gutters annually, particularly if leaves from surrounding trees have plugged the drains. Roof gutters are easily overlooked but can produce millions of mosquitoes each season.

Turn over plastic wading pools when not in use.

Turn over wheelbarrows and do not allow water to stagnate in bird baths.

Aerate ornamental pools or stock them with fish. Water gardens will become major mosquito producers if they are allowed to stagnate.

Clean and chlorinate swimming pools that are not being used. A swimming pool that is left untended by a vacationing family for an extended period of time will result in an infestation. Mosquitoes can even breed in the water that collects on pool covers.

Use landscaping to eliminate standing water that collects on your property. Mosquitoes will develop in any puddle that lasts more than 4 days.

(Information obtained from Rutgers NJAES Cooperative Extension)


Over the counter and prescription medications should not be disposed down the drain because wastewater treatment facilities are not designed to remove pharmaceutical compounds. These medications may end up in local waterways, and may eventually be found in drinking water. Properly disposing of unwanted and expired prescriptions and over-the-counter medications in the trash promotes a healthy aquatic environment and prevents accidental poisoning as well as intentional abuse.

The Florham Park Police Department can now accept unwanted, unused and expired prescription medications 24 hours, 7 days a week. The unit is located in the main lobby of Florham Park Borough Hall.

For a 4 step guideline for proper disposal of household medication, click here


For Home Generated Medical Waste

Home generated medical waste is created through the administration of injectable medications and other invasive or non-invasive procedures. It includes, but is not limited to, syringes, and needles with attached tubing and other materials. You are required by law to properly dispose of these syringes or reusable hypodermic needles by destroying your needles and syringes.

How can you safely dispose of your syringes? Several options are available to safely dispose of used syringes generated in the home.

Safe Syringe Disposal Program – Contact Morristown Memorial Hospital for information: 973-971-4177.

Physicians – Ask your physician if he/she will take your used syringes once they are properly placed in a container.

Household Waste – Follow these steps to safely dispose of your syringes in your municipal trash:

Your syringes must be place in rigid containers that will protect people from needle sticks. Use containers that are unlikely to break open on the way to the landfill.

  1. You can use empty laundry detergent bottles or 2-liter soda bottles or other rigid containers with screw-on caps to dispose of needles and syringes. Also, check with a pharmacy to see if they sell commercial containers specially designed to hold sharps for disposal in your household trash.
  2. Place a large label with a warning on the empty container. For example: Syringes – Do Not Recycle
  3. Buy an inexpensive hand-held needle clipper from the pharmacy. Using anything other than a clipper to break a needle is not safe. After clipping the needle, carefully place each of the used needles and syringes into a plastic bottle with a screw-on lid. If possible, the user should clip the needle and syringe and place them in the container. If the user is unable, it is recommended that the caregiver consult with the individual’s physician for further instructions.
  4. Seal the bottle tightly with the original lid and wrap duct tape over the lid after you fill the bottle with syringes.
  5. You may now dispose of the tightly sealed full container of syringes in your household trash – NOT in your recycling bin. Remember, although you may feel healthy, your used syringes can transmit germs and loose syringes can seriously hurt people.

For more information on this and other home medical waste, click here

Social Service Information

Florham Park Meals on Wheels Program Florham Park residents who are 60 years of age and older are eligible for nutrition services through the Morris County Nutrition Project. There are currently 15 nutrition sites available to Florham Park residents for walk in hot meal service. In addition to heat meal service, the sites also provide activities, games and arts and crafts.
The closest site for Florham Park residents are as follows:

  • Morristown
    31 Early Street
    Open M-F
    9:00-2:00 p.m.
  • Madison
    15 Chateau Thierry
    Open M, W, F
    9:00-2:00 p.m.
  • Parsippany
    1130 Knoll Road
    Open M-F
    9:00-2:00 p.m

A reservation is required; kindly call the site 24 hours in advance

The suggested donation is $2.00 per meal; however, no one is turned away for inability to pay

There is home delivery service available to senior who are homebound and are unable to come to one of the Nutrition sites. Those Florham Park residents would be served by the Madison or Morristown site. The donation of $2.00 per meal would apply.

To Schedule delivery for a homebound senior, call the Nutrition site in your area.

For additional information, or to see a complete listing of Nutrition sites in Morris County, call 973-285-6856 or visit their website at

2-1-1 Non-Emergency

211 is the first three-digit telephone number dedicated to health, human services, and community life. Call 211 on your phone to get information on health and social services, government assistance, and local community resources. Callers will find information on financial assistance, housing, mental health services, health and medical care, crisis intervention services, food stamps and food banks, legal assistance, substance abuse, domestic violence, transportation, disaster response, and much more. 211 service is available throughout New Jersey 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. All calls are confidential.

Senior Services

NJ EASE (New Jersey Easy Access, Single Entry) is the easy way for seniors and their families to get information about and access senior services. NJ EASE is one toll-free number to put you in touch with someone to help you learn about and apply for important programs and benefits. You will speak to someone who is trained to provide you with answers and information on a wide variety of topics including healthcare, insurance, home care services, long term care options, transportation, social activities, nutrition and more. Call 1-800-564-4565 (Morris County EASE) for more information.

Cancer Screening Services

Residents who are income eligible and are uninsured or underinsured may qualify for free breast, cervical, colorectal and/or prostate cancer screening services under the NJCEED (Cancer Education and Early Detection) Program. For more information, call the Morristown Memorial Hospital Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Program (Morris County) at 973-971-5952.

Prescription Savings Program

Pharmacy Owners Providers Services (POPS) provides all residents of Morris County and dependents in the same house, not currently covered through any government sponsored or employer based prescription insurance program, with savings of up to 50% on prescription medications. For more information, call 1-800-564-4656.

NJ Family Care

New Jersey FamilyCare is a federally and state funded health insurance program created to help New Jersey’s uninsured children and certain low income parents and guardians to have affordable health coverage. NJ FamilyCare is for families who do not have available or affordable employer insurance and cannot afford to pay the high cost of private health insurance. For more information and for eligibility requirements, call 1-800-701-0710.

Morris County Housing Rehabilitation Program

Does your house need work? The Morris County Housing Rehabilitation Program provides funds to income eligible homeowners to address major system failures and repairs related to health or safety in their primary residence. For more information on this program, contact Morris County Community Development at 973-285-6030.


N.J. Dept. of Health & Senior Services
Morris County Human Services
N.J. Office of Vital Statistics & Registry
N.J. Division of Archives & Records Management