Things You Should Know


Annual permit fees are charged for the connection of private alarm systems. There are penalties for false alarms. Residents who are considering the installation of an alarm system should contact the Police Department for installation and permit information.


The legal drinking age in New Jersey is 21. It is unlawful to possess unsealed alcoholic beverage containers in any public place unless official permission has been granted. Retail consumption is restricted to the following hours: 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. Monday – Saturday; 12:00 noon to 2:00 a.m. Sundays. State law prohibits the consumption of an alcoholic beverage by either the driver or a passenger while in a motor vehicle. The possession of an unsealed alcoholic beverage in a motor vehicle is also prohibited.


All dogs and cats that are at least 7 months old must be counted and licensed each year by the Borough of Florham Park as per Chapter 96 and Chapter 108 of the Code of Florham Park. Dog and cat licenses must be renewed by January 31st of each year. N.J. state law requires that all animals must show proof of a current rabies vaccination that is valid through November 1st of the licensing year in order to renew. There are no exceptions. For application and fee information, contact the Health Department at 973-410-5319.


Florham Park animal control services are provided by Millburn and Livingston Animal Control. Please contact the Florham Park Police Department at (973) 377-2200, and they will contact animal control. All calls must go through the Florham Park Police Department.


No registration is required. State Law requires all children 14 years and younger to wear a helmet. Report any missing bicycles to the Police Department.

Back to top


Permission must be granted by the Council after review by the Borough Clerk and the Police Department. Please submit your request in writing to the Borough Clerk.


Check with the Construction Department before undertaking any project to obtain the proper building, plumbing or electrical permits. Call 410-5346. Plan ahead. Make sure all final inspections have been completed before you make final payment to the contractor. As the property owner, you are responsible for all inspections which include permits for roofing, re-roofing, siding, fencing, repairs and renovations.


A certificate of occupancy (“CO”) or continued occupancy certificate is required every time a property changes ownership, occupancy, or use of all commercial establishments and businesses. COs are available from the Construction Department. A fee is charged. Residential dwellings do not require a certificate of occupancy on a resale, however, a certificate of inspection from the Fire Official or designee for smoke alarms is required. A fee is charged.


Applications for solicitation can be obtained on this wesbite under forms. Applications must be made to the Police Department and permission granted by the Council before any canvassing or charitable solicitation may take place.


Florham Park’s Community Bulletin Board is provided twenty-four hours a day free of charge on Cablevision Channel #21 and Verizon Channel #35.. Florham Park non-profit, community service organizations may post announcements by submitting them two weeks prior to the date they would like them to appear. A contact name and telephone number must be included. Announcements may be faxed directly to FPTV at 973-765-9895, or they may be mailed to Florham Park Community Television, 111 Ridgedale Ave., Florham Park, NJ 07932.


It is the responsibility of property owners to maintain curbs and sidewalks in good repair. Florham Park standards and construction permits are available in the Construction Office


Residents may dispose of small appliances, toys, bric-a-brac, portable furniture and re-construction material at the compactor each Saturday from 8:00 – 12:00 year round, weather permitting. Any commerical vehicles that wish to dispose items at the compactor are required to obtain a permit from the Department of Public Works. Permits will be reviewed and issued by the Director of Public Works. Please note that trailers will not be allowed to drop refuse off at the Center.


It is very tempting to feed feral cats because they are so cute and look just like domestic cats. These animals are NOT domesticated. They have been born in the wild and may carry diseases and in some cases, rabies. The feeding of feral cats and other types of wildlife also disrupts their natural feeding habits and can result in wildlife being concentrated at artificial feeding areas like your yard. It is against the law in Florham Park to feed feral cats and other wildlife. Violators are subject to prosecution and fines. Report feral cats to the Health Department.

Back to top


The hunting of game and the discharging of firearms within the Borough limits are prohibited. State Law requires the registration of firearms of any type. Applications are handled by the Police Department.


The manufacture, sale and use of fireworks are prohibited by State Law. Fireworks laws are enforced by the municipal police and local fire officials.


The Florham Park Volunteer Fire Department can be reached at 973-377-3241 for non-emergency issues. For emergencies please dial 911. For more information and a listing of special events please visit their website at:


The Free Public Library of the Borough of Florham Park is located on the grounds of the Borough complex. Expanded and renovated in 2005, this beautiful 16,000 square foot facility offers wireless internet access, two meeting rooms, and a collection of more than 46,000 books, periodicals and audio-visual materials. Membership in the Library provides online access to the catalogs of all the public libraries in Morris County through M.A.I.N (Morris Automated Information Network). People can request and renew online. Delivery to Florham Park of requested items from M.A.I.N. libraries and from libraries throughout New Jersey is provided. For information about the Library and the services it offers please visit or call 973-377-2694.


Permits are required for garage sales, and there is a limit of two garage sales in each twelve month period. Please see the Borough Clerk’s office for permits and additional information.


Household trash is collected by private hauler twice a week. Contact: Pryer Disposal – 973-377-0176. Please remember that Recycling is mandatory in Florham Park.


Free concerts are presented at the Gazebo during the summer months. The Gazebo Committee consists of a group of volunteer residents who are appointed by the Mayor. For more information check the website at Or email the committee at

Back to top


Grass clippings are to be placed in rigid containers at curbside for weekly pickup, except during the months of January – March, and during the leaf pickup program.


Any person “landlord” who owns property which is offered for rented housing space is required by law to file a statement with the Municipal Clerk which contains the name and address of the property owner, the name of the tenant, the name and address of the managing agent of the premise, if any, and the name and address of an individual representative to contact in the event of an emergency affecting the premise. Amended statements of registration are required to be filed within seven days of any change in the foregoing information.


Brush, clippings, and tree branches between 1″ to 6″ in diameter, and a length greater than 4′ will be chipped. Branches must be placed at curbside with large ends facing the road. There will be no collection of firewood, stumps, roots, trunks or limbs over 6″ in diameter. Branches, cuttings, etc., less than 1″ in diameter must be tied in bundles no longer than 4′, and placed at curbside.


For ten weeks in the fall, the Borough collects leaves left at the curb. Leaves are not to be raked into the street or burned. Schedule for pick up is available through the Department of Community Services. Please call 973-410-5330


The Morris Area Paratransit System (MAPS) is Morris County’s transportation service for senior citizens and people with disabilities, operated by the Morris County Department on Senior, Disability and Veteran Services. Using small buses, cars and station wagons, MAPS provides weekday transportation to various destinations in the county, including medical facilities, education and employment sites. Many MAPS vehicles are equipped for people using wheelchairs. You can use MAPS if you are a Morris County resident AND: you are age 60 years of age or older or you have a physical or mental disability. For more information on MAPS please visit the website at:


An appointment is needed to apply for a marriage license or civil union license in Florham Park. It is recommended you apply at least two weeks before the ceremony inasmuch as there is a 72 hour waiting period from the time the application is filed to the date the license is issued. To schedule an appointment, obtain document requirements and fee information, please call the Registrar’s Office at 973-410-5319.

Back to top


Residents receive registration dates and fee schedules by mail each spring. Registrations may be made at the Borough Hall before the pool opening; thereafter register directly at the pool. Lessons and Swim team information is available at the Pool following opening. For further information on registration, please contact the Recreation Department at 973-410-5390.


Municipal Court is held every Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. – Violations Bureau – 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.


Those wishing to set up Neighborhood Watch Programs will be assisted by members of the Police Department.


Applications may be obtained at the Clerk’s Office for special functions and must be approved by the Chief of Police and the Borough Clerk.


The open burning of leaves and other debris is strictly prohibited.


On-street parking is prohibited on all streets between 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. daily. Violators parking in Fire Zones or illegally parked in physically handicapped parking spaces will be ticketed.


The Police Department patrol approximately forty miles of highways and streets. For non-emergency issues please call 973-377-2200. For all emergencies, please dial 911. For more information on the Florham Park Police Department, please visit their website at
You can receive text messages from the Florham Park Office of Emergency Management by texting Follow Florhamalert to 40404.


Project Community Pride is a counseling program for children at risk and their families. Project Community is currently serving Chatham, Madison and Florham Park.For more information please contact Jeff Macko, 973-593-3013


187 Columbia Turnpike – 973-377-2402


Free rabies vaccinations are held each November at the Borough Garage. At that time, a local veterinarian will vaccinate dogs and cats. This service is paid for in your annual license fee.

Back to top


Applications for raffles to be held within the Borough may be obtained from the Municipal Clerk’s Office, and must be approved by the Council at a public meeting. The fee is determined by the prize amount. For more information contact the Clerk’s office at 973-410-5300.


Curbside pickup is provided every other week by the county. Missed pickups can be reported by calling (973) 659-3490. Bins are stationed at the Environmental Center for the collection of newspaper, glass, cardboard, aluminum, and plastic bottles. Recycling is required by law. The recycling schedule is available under the Recycling tab and can also be obtained at the Department of Community Services Office.


It is unlawful for any person to erect, alter, or relocate any sign as defined by Ordinance without first obtaining a permit from the Construction Code Official and making payment of the fee required by Ordinance, except as exempt under provisions of Section 28-7 (Residential; and Non Residential Zones) defined in the Borough Code.


Smoke detectors, or smoke alarms, are required by law to be installed in each dwelling unit or sleeping area in any structure in the Borough of Florham Park. The installation of smoke detectors shall be made in accordance with the regulations of the Fire Official, both as to the number of detectors needed for the area to be protected and as to the method employed. The inspection of each installation shall be by the Fire Official.

It shall be unlawful for any person to convey title to any building in the Borough without having first procured a Certificate from the Fire Official indicating the premises to be sold or conveyed comply with the provisions of Ordinance 8-88.

It shall be the sole responsibility of the owner to maintain every smoke detector in working order after it has been inspected and approved by the Fire Official.

Back to top


Snow and ice must be removed within 48 hours of daylight from the time the storm ends. If freezing conditions make removal impractical, the snow or ice must be covered by cinders, sand or salt.


An application for a construction permit must be made, and approval of the plans must be obtained before starting work on the construction, alteration, or repair of a family swimming pool. Approvals are needed from both the Construction Official and the Health Department.


Tax Office hours are 9:00 a.m. top 4:30 p.m. – Monday through Friday. It is imperative that the Tax Office receives in writing any change of address or change to a post office box to insure deliver of all future bills. When paying your tax bill please send the stub only with your check. Your cancelled check is your receipt. For your convenience, there is a Lock Box located at the Police Entrance to Borough Hall to use as a drop-off for Tax and Water payments. No cash should be put in the box -only checks with the proper payment stub. PLEASE NOTE THAT ANY POSTDATED CHECKS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.


The Property Tax Reimbursement Program is designed to reimburse senior citizens and disabled persons for property tax increases. To qualify for the reimbursement for 2007 you must meet certain criteria. For more information please call 1-800-323-4400.


Tents require a permit. Please check with the Construction Office at 973-410-5346.

Back to top


The Borough’s Water Department operates a water supply system which consists of three wells, two storage tanks and water distribution lines. The present number of wells and underground aquifer supply sufficient water to the 3,100 system users. The Water Department is a self-supporting utility.

Solid waste is collected by Pryer Disposal Company, with individual residences and business establishments responsible for payment of the collection service. New Jersey State law requires all residents to provide proof of contract for solid waste disposal.
Electricity and gas are supplied by Jersey Central Power and Light and Public Service Electric and Gas Company.


Registration requirements state you must be eighteen years of age on or before the election in which you are to vote; you must be native-born or show proof of naturalization; you must have resided in New Jersey and in the county for thirty days. Voter registration applications are available at the Clerk’s Office in Borough Hall. You may also contact the Morris County Office of Elections at 973-285-6066. For further information and applications, you may visit the website at Residents moving into Florham Park from another community in Morris County may simply complete a change of address form. Forms may be obtained at the Clerk’s Office at Borough Hall


Collection is handled by the Sewer Utility. Please call 973-377-1330.


Questions regarding permitted uses should be directed to the Construction Code Official at 973-410-5463.

Back to top